Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Missing Child

MISSING: One fussy, temper-tantrum throwing, nap refusing, middle of the night party throwing, food boycotting 10-month old. He was last seen about 2 weeks ago, looking somewhat like this:
FOUND: One happy, content, crawling, 12-hour a night sleeping, big eating, nap taking 10-month old. Recently pictured like this:
I can't decide whether to reward the person who switched these babies or punish them for taking my kid.

After 9-months of having a fussy, difficult to handle, constantly frustrated baby, I have suddenly become the mother of a happy baby. At first, I thought crawling was a horrid curse someone put on my child....and he was horrid for several weeks when he started crawling...but recently this whole mobility and independence thing is really agreeing with him. He can crawl around between toys and actually entertain himself for 20 minute stretches. He is happy to go wherever I take him and all this moving around is clearly helping him sleep long stretches at night....we've been managing 7:30 pm until almost 7 am the last 2 weeks.

This whole happy baby thing is quite an adjustment. When friends complain about their fussy babies, I don't even know what to say anymore. I used to be able to chime in with 16 stories about Joseph's fussiness that would top anyone else's story, but now I just kind of offer reassurance (I still remember wanting to stick a sock in THOSE mom's mouth when I was frustrated with Joseph's fussiness and all they could do is talk about how GREAT and EASY their kid was - so I won't even go there!). I don't feel like a liar anymore when someone says "Oh he's so sweet" and I respond "Yes, he is."

Now Joseph is certainly happy, but I still can't say he's easy. He is the most active little guy. I can barely get a diaper change and bottle in him in the morning before he's wriggling off my lap or crawling off his changing table to get crawling and moving for the day. We are non-stop movement ALL day long. My policing his fussiness has been replaced by me policing his climbing on things he shouldn't and opening doors and cabinets he shouldn't. We have at least 6 full out falls everyday that result in crying, screaming and comforting needed by mom. He is currently sporting a huge scratch on his nose and a bruise across his cheek from two separate attempts to climb furniture yesterday. Taking him out to eat is not an option at this point. I mean, really, would you want to sit in high chair and just look around if you knew you could crawl? But I will take the high-energy, happy little guy that has suddenly arrived over my little fussy guy any day.

Here is a video of his crawling skills that are the reason for his happiness. This was at the park this past weekend. The camera work gets a little crazy because Joseph was headed straight for some bird poop and I had to divert him. Eventually the camera turns off quickly when he makes a dash straight for the poop.

1 comment:

Erin said...

no need to miss fussy baby ... i'm sure he'll be back for visits ... but i'm glad happy baby is taking over.