Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hope Floats

There is an amazing organization in Charlotte called KinderMourn which helps grieving parents deal with the loss of a child. In their own words, the purpose of the organization is "...to provide a safe haven for families whose lives have been shattered by the death of a child." They offer various services to these families, but most importantly free or low-cost grief counseling. In recent years they have expanded their services to provide counseling and support groups for couples dealing with miscarriages through their Empty Arms program. I first heard about this organization after my own miscarriage when my OB/Gyn gave me their information during my post-op appointment (clearly this was because he realized that I was on the edge of insanity). They also offer support groups for couples who are pregnant again subsequent a pregnancy loss. Anyone who has been through this experience knows that a subsequent pregnancy is a roller coaster of emotions and who often feel confused and anxious. While I never actually ended up using their services, for obvious reasons, this is an organization I care about.


This weekend is their annual duck race fundraiser. They put thousands of rubber duckies in the water at the National White Water Center here in Charlotte . We adopted 5 ducks to race in memory of the baby we lost. If one of our little duckies crosses the finish line first, we'll win this sweet little prize:



A Smart car! I have seen a few of these around town and really want one. I'll look so cute (and green!) doing my errands (sans Joseph - no car seat in that little thing) around town!


So go duckies!!!

1 comment:

mandie lane said...

So neat! What an awesome cause to support. I hope your duckies kick ass and that Smart car is yours.

I totally thought this post was going to be about the Sandra Bullock movie, and now I have Garth Brooks stuck in my head.