Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy!!!!

Any parent knows that as many hopes and dreams that you have for child, the one thing you really care about is just that they are happy. Somewhere around 2-3 months old, they start smiling and cooing and eventually giggling to let you know that they are happy. As they get older, they find more ways to express their happiness.

Recently, Joseph has learned a very direct way of letting us know he is happy. He simply starts yelling "Happy!" The first time he did it, it took me by surprise because I didn't even know the word "happy" was in his vocabulary. We pulled into the parking lot of his music class, which he LOVES, and he just threw his hands up in the air, kicked his legs and screamed "Happy! Happy! Happy!" over and over again. Since then he has been saying it for all sorts of things...like seeing a puppy at the pet store, realizing our trip to the mall is going to include a stop at the bookstore play area, Daddy walking through the door at the end of the long day (this makes me yell "Happy!" too). There is nothing like the pure, unfiltered joy that only a child can express.

Joseph is also clearly starting to understand that others people have emotions too. I had been sick for 2 weeks (part of the reason for the horrible lack of recent blogging) and finally last Wednesday had just had enough. I was tired, I felt horrible, I hadn't smelled anything or tasted food for over a week, I was over being pregnant. As I sat and watched Joseph play it all seemed overwhelming and I just started crying....well sobbing, really. He came over to me and said "sad", gave me a hug and then smiled at me and said "happy!". It was one of the sweetest things he's ever done and also the first time he'd ever used the word "sad". I am constantly amazed by the things he comes up with sometimes.

Now we are working on him saying "mad" and "frustrated" instead of throwing his toys, hitting me or throwing himself on the floor while kicking and screaming. It might be awhile....

And now...a picture of Joseph when he's "Happy!" I'll spare you pictures of angry Joseph.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG...that post has me crying. I can't even begin to describe the love in my heart for that little boy.....and just think in a few short weeks there'll be another one to love. Grandchildren just absolutely melt your heart. I am truly blessed!

mandie lane said...

Awww, this post makes ME happy! What a bright boy you have (despite his insistence that he's dumb). Sweet.