Monday, October 4, 2010

It's Been So Long Since Last We Met.....

Well, yes. I'm sure you are thinking it has been a long time since I met my blog. Unfortunately, a hubby in the midst of a whirlwind travel schedule and kids who ended up with colds = little time or energy for the blog.

But what I'm really referring to is my recent reunion with one my bestest college friends, Lauren (and FYI...the title of this little entry is the opening line of the Georgetown Fight Song). Her week long East Coast tour brought her to the big old city and she was more than willing to hop on a Sunday morning train out to the 'burbs. Amazingly, it's been over 4 years since we saw each other but a move from DC to Phoenix (for her) and 2 kids (for me) doesn't make it easy to see each other very often.


But even after 4 years we still had a great time reminiscing about good ole days on the Hilltop and catching up on life. Lives that are pretty much polar opposites right now. See, she's still single and LOVING it! She can just decide there's a whole lot of people on the East coast she hasn't seen in too long and head out east for a week. And this trip involves a suitcase and a computer. There's no double stroller and carseats and 1 carry-on with just 47 diapers (just in case your flight makes the morning news for setting some sort of record for time spent trapped on the runway). Her weekend nights (and a lot of her weekday nights too) involve ethnic restaurants and hipster concerts. Mine involve takeout and some DVR. I fell asleep on my couch at 10pm on New Year's Eve last year. She randomly booked a flight and spent NYE in Chile (or something like that) because there was a good deal on the flight. My Christmas card last year was the standard family picture on the beach. She sent a CD of her favorite music from the last year with bands that I had mostly never heard of. It arrived in the mail one day when I was standing in my kitchen barefoot and pregnant (literally) baking Christmas cookies, rocking out to Michael Buble (is that an oxymoron?) with a toddler playing at my feet.


Despite her super coolness, she was still thrilled to spend a day in the 'burbs, sitting on the beach, watching Backyardigans and having pretend sword flights with a 2-year old, feeding an infant a bottle and just generally loving on my babies.





That's why I love her and why Joseph was pretty psyched to make a new friend. He liked Lauren so much, you'd think they were blood related...and well, they sort of are since my boys certainly bleed Hoya blue.

And I just had to add this picture of Joseph:


Taken after he kept putting sand in his mouth and my repeated warnings of "Joseph - that's not going to taste good. Joseph - Don't do that. You're going to get mad."

3 comments:

Erin said...

almost cried when i saw this! i so want to make a trip out east ... but like you i have that whole, two kids thing. not to mention a full time job. SOMEDAY. glad you guys had fun!!!

also, LOVED the description of the difference between her life and yours. so true.

LaurenHoya said...

Crystal - I love this post! I have sent it to several people to read....I had such a good time out there. Hope to do it again very soon!

And Erin - yes, you should come back east. I will drive to San Diego, back up your kids with you, and make the flight! We'll leave Todd at home :)

LaurenHoya said...

And by back, I mean pack...