Monday, June 15, 2009

Catching Up

I have been slacking at the blogging lately, I know...and many of you have reminded me of this in the last few days. My deepest apologies to those of you waiting on the edge of your seat for a new post from this blog. However, we've been a tad hectic around here over the last 2 weeks. Here is a brief synopsis of early June 2009:

A few days after the last post, my sister-in-law Kipling arrived. She is staying with us for the summer before she returns for her senior year at Columbia University (yeah, she's sort of smart with her fancy Ivy League education). It's been great having her around. Joseph LOVES her...every morning when he wakes up around 6:30 am he goes running towards her room and bangs on the door like "Hey Aunt Kip, wanna play?" I try to keep him amused with other mischief until at least 8...I remember being 21 and 6:30 was like the middle of the night. She's been so helpful keeping him occupied so I can get some stuff done around the house and just being an extra set of hands (which with Joseph is still not enough!).

My mother-in-law brought Kipling down from Kentucky and also came with Richard's grandmother (Nana) and they stayed for a few days last week before returning home. We love Richard's grandmother, but suffice to say, she is rather unique. Just having her around and keeping up the conversation can exhaust someone....throw in a hyper-active 14 month old and you have your hands full. On the first day Nana arrived, she came in after a long drive and I asked her if she wanted something to drink. Her response was "Oh, I'll have some scotch". She wasn't kidding. I was like "Well, Richard has some nice scotch, I'll pour you some." Her response, "Oh don't do that, I have some stuff right here. I just need a glass" and proceeded to pull a bottle of scotch out of her purse. Enough said.

Joseph was also sick during this time frame. After vomiting twice in one morning, running a 103 degree temperature and spending an entire morning sitting in my lap with no interest in playing, I took Joseph to the pediatrician. We had a urine sample taken, blood drawn and more poking and prodding than Joseph cared for. All this testing revealed an elevated white blood cell count and a return trip to the pediatrician the next day for a re-check. The final diagnosis was Coxsackie virus (named after the town of Coxsackie, NY where the virus first showed up in the 1940's and coincidentally is the next town over from where I grew up) which is basically a virus that causes ulcers on the back of the throat and one hell of a sore throat. Poor little Joseph - it took a few days of sitting with me all day (which is great for cuddling, not so great for getting things done) but he was back to his wild little self within a few days.

Richard and I also celebrated our 6 year anniversary - I can hardly believe we've been married 6 years! It involved some sandwiches for dinner with a glass of champagne - I know, odd combination. Hopefully we'll have a date night soon...just hasn't happened yet.

This past weekend my parents came for a visit. It was a low key, relaxing weekend (well, as relaxing as any time can be with Joseph around) of going to the park, sitting outside watching Joseph splash around in his play pool, swimming at the neighbors, walks around the neighborhood - basically your standard weekend activities.
Well, now that you are caught up on what we have been up to for 2 weeks, here are some pictures of Joseph's recent activities:

Joseph's latest thing - patting his chest when he's proud of himself
Splashing in the fountains at the park with Grandma.

Trying to climb down the tunnel

Splashing in his water table
Swimming in Miss. Kay's pool

1 comment:

Erin said...

that boy's hair is getting long ... no wonder people mistake him for a girl :-)