Friday, September 18, 2009

A Rite of Passage

Joseph undertook a major childhood rite of passage yesterday - he had his first experience licking beaters...
Before a bunch of people get their knickers in a knot, it wasn't cookie dough or brownie mix with raw egg. Nope, just plain old delicious homemade whipped cream (because Cool Whip may be the most disgusting thing on the face of the planet - now Reddi Whip, on the other hand, that's some awesome deliciousness).

Notice how Joseph is still in his PJs? Yup, that's right he got pure heavy cream and sugar at 8 am.

I know you are wondering why I was making homemade whipped cream at 8 am. Well, I can blame that on pregnancy. The day before I had a craving for a favorite childhood treat - Jello Mousse. What is this amazing thing called Jello Mousse you are asking right now. It's normal Jello and before it fully sets (like around the 3 hour cooling mark), you whip in whipped cream and let it re-set for a few hours. Yum...delicious and on Wednesday I wanted it...bad. So off to the grocery store we went for heavy cream and Black Cherry Jello (I recommend Black Cherry or Lime for this recipe - my personal favorites). I never got around to actually making it until Thursday and since it needs about 5 hours to perfect its deliciousness, I had to get started early.

So voila - that is how we get this to this little rascal covered in whipped cream at 8 am.

3 comments:

Erin said...

i need to go make myself some jello. yum.

also, it didn't even occur to me that it was still morning and that's why joseph was still in his jammies. ours frequently remains in his jammies for most of the day.

Theresa said...

Joseph looks so much like Richard in those two pictures.....licking whipped cream beaters before 8 am....Ahhhh life is pretty much perfect!!!!

mandie lane said...

Ha! Before I even read the explanation I'm thinking "she is SUCH a pregnant cliche right now- sugary treats before Joseph's out of his PJs". I'm sure you made his day!