Sunday, January 4, 2009

Gag Reflex - the Joseph edition!

Someone once told me that your baby either has sleep issues or eating issues and if you have problems with neither, count yourself as one lucky Mommy.

For the first 5 months of Joseph's life, we had sleep issues. MAJOR ones. Now he is a great little sleeper, but in the last month we have developed eating issues.

We've been attempting finger foods the last few weeks and our attempts have been major failures. Joseph will put a puff, a cheerio, a pea, or something similar in his mouth, start to gag (not choke) and then promptly vomit. In my online research I have discovered while not a common problem, some babies do have this reaction to finger foods. It's a double whammy of a baby who doesn't deal well with textures and a strong gag reflex (this was inherited from his father - see "Gag Reflex" post from Dec. 3 below for details). Some who have dealt with this issue suggested making a slow transition from the purees to more textured foods like mashed bananas or cottage cheese. So I bought some cottage cheese, which seemed rather thick, so I even diluted it with some formula and gave it a try today. I was really hopeful that he would eat it down like a champ. FAIL! He did his normal...nasty face, gag, throw up routine. We even caught it on video. Please beware that it may not be appropriate for others with weak stomachs and strong gag reflexes.

I am not terribly concerned about this finger food issue. Other people assure me that babies tend to outgrow this by 10 months to a year (I assure you, with Joseph we will be closer to a year - that's just how it goes around here). However, we are having issues even with the purees. Joseph doesn't like to sit still. He hates to be confined somewhere, which makes sitting to eat a struggle. See video below for his normal reaction to being forced to sit and eat.

Note how he pushes the spoon away and refuses to open his mouth. Now if we put him in front of the TV, he's so transfixed, he opens his mouth for the food, swallows and wants some more. This next video was taken about 5 minutes after the one above with the same can of peas but his chair has been moved from the kitchen to in front of the TV. Suddenly, Joseph will actually eat them, although clearly not enjoying them.

Call me a bad mom, but for right now if 10 minutes of TV 3 times a day, is getting my kid to eat, I'm taking it!

2 comments:

Erin said...

wow. my joseph has never vomited. he spit up a lot when he was little but never straight up vomited, and so i was totally unprepared for that.

but other than the fright i got from the vomit ... he is so, so cute!

Todd said...

Erin was unprepared?

What about me? I'm sitting here minding my own business, when I hear Erin say "He's so cute!" I lean over to look at her computer screen, and a split second later he lets loose.

I didn't even get the benefit of the warning line.

I really need to install some kind of internet filter at our house.