Monday, January 26, 2009

Home Sweet Home

At last - I have gotten around to posting pictures from our trip to New York a few weeks ago. We arrived to a blistering cold New York on Friday and on Saturday, we had a big family gathering so everyone could see Joseph. The big highlight was Joseph getting to meet his second cousin, Renee (my cousin John's little girl). She is only 3 weeks younger than him and they had fun checking each other out and trading spit by sharing their toys.

A pic of my cousin and I at Christmas 1981 - I was 9 months, he was 5. He was nice enough to share his new truck with me. Didn't my grandparents have a sweet couch?


All grown up and holding each other's babies:

Our grandparents holding their two great grandchildren:
My other Grandma & Grandpa playing with Joseph:
Joseph with his honorary Aunt Jo. She's not actually an aunt by definition but she has been my mom's BFF since before I was born and that makes her an honorary Aunt.

On Sunday, we headed to the even colder state of Vermont, where we spent a few days at my parents mountain house. It was freaking cold, that's all I can say. Richard took Joseph out in his snowsuit and dragged him around in a hamper. I took the pictures safely (and warmly) from inside. My mom and brother were actually insane enough to go snow shoeing through the woods. Anyone who knows me, knows that was NOT going to happen with me.


Joseph also enjoyed getting up REALLY early in Vermont. He loved waking up Uncle Jeffrey by crawling all over him. It was especially early for Uncle Jeffrey, who was still operating on Pacific coast time. Uncle Jeffrey promised revenge when Joseph is about 16. At some point when we are all on a family vacation, he's going to get up at 5 am, make a ton of noise as he makes breakfast and annoy the heck out of Joseph...who will undoubtedly refuse to get out of bed before noon at that age.

My mom dragged out some of my old toys and Joseph enjoyed playing with some of them.

Like my little rocking chair:

And my little cart. Joseph liked being pulled around the house in it.


A picture of me in it sometime in the first year of my life:After several days of bone chilling weather, Joseph was tired of being in the house all day so we headed to the "mall" about 20 minutes from my parents house. It's Vermont...its not much of a mall. It's anchored by a Big K-mart and a Sears that's smaller than most Gap stores. What this mall does have is a SWEET dollar store. Its worth the 20 minute drive, trust me. We always find some great stuff. On one visit my brother found a suit jacket for $1!!! Surprisingly, it was sort of hipster-esque....the problem was that when we got it home, we realized it smelled REALLY bad. This time, Rich scored the big find with a gold plastic grill...yup, it was only a $1!!! We almost bought him a plastic gold necklace that said "Bling" on it...but we didn't want to spring for the extra $1...ya know, tough economic times. The ironic thing is that Vermont has to the least "blingiest" state in the country. Well, maybe it comes in right ahead of Alaska.

Rich showing off his grill:


6 comments:

mandie lane said...

Great pictures. It is insane how much Joseph looks like you. (Although I did see Richard got a vote- congrats, daddy!) Your parents' Vermont place sounds exactly like my parents' Wisconsin place- cold, woodsy, complete with a sweet Dollar Store.

Glad you had a good time. :)

Erin said...

remember when we spent all day looking for a dollar store/used-goods store for halloween costumes in umm a really sketchy area in D.C.?

what's funny is that area is now hip and popular ... but freshman year, it was not a good place for us to be (which we realized when we noticed all of the bullet-proof glass everywhere)

Crystal said...

If I remember correctly, we were looking for a trench coat so that Lauren Melodia could be a key stealer for Halloween after her debacle with student security. That was random!

Crystal said...

Come to think of it...we always ended up in sketchy places with Lauren Melodia...like the time we went to an anarchist party over by Howard.

Erin said...

yes, in her place where she slept on the floor and there were rats.

btw, i also loves the pictures of joseph where you can see that he's smiling behind the paci.

LaurenHoya said...

That grill is amazing. Rich needs to work that to his advantage in everything he does in life. If only I had pics of my recent finds at the dollar store in my hometown over Christmas. Amazing stuff...