Thursday, March 25, 2010

Joseph and the "Po Po"

We had some dramaz around here this morning. Drama slightly more serious than the usual "I want cookies for breakfast" or "I want to go to the park at 6:45 am" tantrums from Joseph or Conrad's "Feed me now. It's been 2 hours since I last ate" or "My diaper is being changed and I am cold" screaming.

Yes, someone tried to break into our house. Rich was at work and my Dad had taken Joseph to the park so there were no cars in the driveway. I was feeding Conrad and chatting with my mom when the doorbell rang. We figured it was a delivery person so my mom went to the door but ignored it when she realized it was just two teenagers, most likely selling something. 30 seconds later they started ringing the doorbell incessantly and knocking really loudly. I immediately got nervous and told my mom to go yell to them to leave us alone so they would know someone was in the house. By the time she got back to the front of the house, they were headed up my driveway, almost to our back door. My mom knocked on the window and they said they were looking for "James" and quickly headed up the street.

I called the police since the whole thing just seemed shady. The police picked them up a few blocks over....two sixteen year-olds with prior juvenile records for breaking and entering and screwdrivers that had been altered for easily breaking into doors in their possession. The police arrested them for attempted breaking and entering and stopped by our house so I could give a signed statement.

Joseph thought the police were pretty cool and we got a couple pictures of him hanging out with the police. He's been walking around saying "po po" since they left. These cracked us up....Joseph behind bars talking to police. Let's hope it's the one and only time that happens....


Luckily I keep my doors locked during the day and we have a security system but the police emphasized that if someone comes to your door, don't ignore it!!!! Don't open the door for them but just yell to them so they know someone is home. Most of these thieves are petty criminals and have no interest in breaking into a house with someone in it because it's a much more serious crime than a breaking and entering attempt.

1 comment:

mandie lane said...

a) So scary! But I love that you took pictures. Good mommy!

b) That is SO great that the po po caught the little boogers. I hope they're facing a nice long juvey stint.

c) I always thought I was doing the right thing by not answering the door when I was home alone and not expecting anyone - I had NO idea that I pretty much invited "our" burglars in by doing that. :( Now when my doorbell rings, I put on my best Texas girl twang and yell "JONNY! GET THE GUN! THERE BEES SOMEONE AT THAT THERE DOOR AGIN!"