Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pet Peeve

I have a lot of pet peeves, but I will limit to this post to the one that is bothering me the most at the current time. Joseph hates running errands with me. He really dislikes being strapped down in his car seat and being dragged in and out of lame places like the post office or the pharmacy. Therefore, we limit the amount of needless running around we do, but let's face it, sometimes groceries have to be purchased, packages have to be mailed and at the rate Joseph goes through diapers, Target trips happen pretty frequently. When we do run errands, we try to do only a few at a time and keep them quick. Inevitably though, Joseph always gets cranky towards the end of these excursions...no matter how fast I get through them. So my biggest pet peeve is one that slows us down...

People who are still writing checks!!! I mean seriously people, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get a debit card. There is nothing worse than being in line at the grocery store with a fussy baby about to lose his mind and the person in front of you whips out the checkbook. I am a pretty patient person, but the time it takes for the cashier to ask for the phone number, ask to see the Driver's License and then verify it in some fancy machine they have, drives me crazy! I don't get it. (My apologies to anyone reading this who is still writing checks at retailers - but seriously, think about the debit card).

This happened yesterday at the grocery store, but the guy writing the check was none other than Ric Flair (a.k.a Nature Boy) of WWF fame (which is the WWE pre-World Wildlife Foundation lawsuit). I have never been a wrestling fan, but my brother was pretty into it when we were little. My lucky Dad got to pay money to take my brother and his friends to the awesome live events. Below is a picture of Nature Boy in his glory days. He is sort of infamous in this city since his road rage incident where he assaulted someone after they were driving too slow and apparently lives in our area of the city since I see him all the time.


He took forever to write the check, but I hid my annoyance because messing with Ric Flair, who is know for his rage, wasn't on the top of the to-do list for the day.

In Joseph news...
Joseph has started this new thing...grunting to let me know he is frustrated and annoyed. This started in the last week or so. If he is in my lap and wants to be on the floor rolling around, he just grunts and throws his head around until I get the message. If he has had enough of the Bumbo seat, car seat, stroller (basically anything where he is constrained), he arches his back and grunts until I let him loose. He is much happier just rolling all over the floor - from one end of the den to the other. He pretty much hates having his diaper changed or clothes changed because it means his rolling has to cease for a few minutes. He grunts the whole way through, flips himself over 10 times, until finally, I manage to get a diaper on. Diaper changes have become a 5 minute process, minimum. I have a wild child on my hands. In the spirit of the fall holidays and Rich's Kentucky bourbon roots, we have taken to calling him "Wild Turkey". Here is a picture of my little wild turkey eating some peaches. We get about 4 spoonfuls in his mouth before he decides to feed himself. By feed himself, I basically mean jamming the spoon in and out of his mouth until he gags.

He just has that little devil look in his eyes in this picture. He is soooooo much like his father. He is going to be a two year old someday - god help me!


1 comment:

Erin said...

hah! i love the grunts. they're still working for our joseph at 17 months.